Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Remembering Dad's Super Duper Eggs, May 31, 2008



May 31, 2008

I was remembering this morning back to when I was a little girl, and how dad always made breakfast for us when we were up at the cabin. Sometimes he would put canned corn in the pancake batter, then fry them in grease left over from frying the bacon. Those were really good pancakes, crispy around the edges and with a surprise crunch inside!

My favorite memory, though, is the morning he showed us how to make “super duper eggs”. I think it was when we still had the wood burning stove, and I remember being crowded into the little kitchen, standing behind dad as he cracked the eggs into the old, cast iron frying pan that had a thick layer of bacon grease in it. It was like deep fat frying the eggs, and dad told us that was the best way to make them, even if it wasn't very good for us. Funny, I don't actually remember eating those eggs, so I don't know if they were delicious or not, but I'll never forget watching dad make them.
It probably wouldn't be a good idea to follow that recipe exactly, but I hope your Saturday morning breakfasts will be as happy as those wonderful breakfasts we used to have back when dad did the cooking.

All seems to be well at mom and dad's. I visited for a long time with them yesterday, and although mom did most of the talking, dad seemed to be happy. He got up from bed to sit in his chair and visit with me. He has lost so much weight that his cheek bones have become prominent, and I was reminded of Grandma Russell, dad's mother. She had a very beautiful face, and when she was old you could really see her bone structure. Dad's is just like hers.

Uncle Colton installed alarms on the outside doors and mom and dad's bedroom door yesterday. As mom told me about the alarms, dad looked at the one on their bedroom door kind of quizzically, but he didn't say anything about it. It sounded like we were at the mall when the kids came in and out of the front door, but should give us all more peace of mind.

Well, have a happy weekend, and I'll be in touch with you all again.

I love you!

Aunt Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment