Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Helpful Dad June 12, 2008



June 12, 2008

Dear Family,

Hi,

I took mom to the eye doctor yesterday, to see how she was doing after her cataract surgery. She can see better without her glasses through the eye that was operated on than she could see with her glasses before. Great, huh?

“Doctor Blair, when can I drive again?” mom asked after her exam was over.

“Never,” he laughed.

We both looked at him with surprise, but he smiled and said, “I know how the women in your family drive, and I don't think any of you should be allowed on the road again.”

Since I've never met the man before, the only conclusion I could draw was that he must be referring to the younger sister in our family whose husband went to school with him up here in Snowflake. Linda, have you been driving crazy again? Anyway, he told mom she was good to go, and she really could drive as much as she wanted to, now.

Mom was so happy to be able to drive that she wanted to go run errands, so I sat with dad while she went to the store. He seems to be doing a bit better, not quite as out of it. We sat at the kitchen counter while he ate a bowl of cereal, (eat a bite, sleep a little, eat a bite, sleep a little) for about half an hour, then I helped him walk back to his room. He still shuffled slowly and had a hard time keeping his balance.

Dad seems to be following our conversations, and asks questions sometimes that make me think he understands what we are talking about, even if he doesn't remember things later on. Still, most of the time he is content to let mom tell him what to do. It's almost as if he is too tired to try to think for himself. Or maybe he is just trying to make mom happy. You know dad, he always tried to be helpful. Remember how he used to 'help' us finish our ice cream cones when they started to drip?

I love you guys. Have a good day.

Love, Aunt Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment