Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just Like the Pioneers June 10, 2008


June 10, 2008

Dear Family,

Happy Wednesday. Mom had one of her eyes operated on yesterday to remove the cataract, and the surgery went well. Moe stayed with grandpa, thank goodness, because the surgery took all morning.

Moe says he and dad took turns napping, while they watched Leave it to Beaver. Dad doesn't have any energy at all, these days. Mom said that Monday she felt like she should just sit next to him all day. She felt like he just wanted to hold her hand.

“Something has changed,” mom told me the yesterday. “I don't quite know what it is, but it feels like something is different. I think, perhaps, dad has had a little stroke or something. He walks with difficulty now, barely shuffling his feet along.”

Then mom grinned and added, “I wish I was thirty pounds heaver, so I could pick dad up. I'm having a hard time getting him ready and into bed these days.”

“Can we come over and help?” I asked, but mom wouldn't hear of it.

On the way to the doctors yesterday I told mom I thought she was amazingly strong, just like Mormor and Grandma Johnson.

“They sure were amazing women,” she agreed with me. “I always thought they would have made great pioneers, but I'm not as strong as them.”

Perhaps great adversity not only refines our characters. It also shows us who we really are.

We also talked about Becky and Keith on our way to the doctors. Both mom and I are so grateful to you for the example and experience you have acquired working with Davy. Thank you, both of you. Becky told me last week to remind mom to use the medications available to help dad be comfortable and happy. She has learned, through trial and error, that relying on medicine is the right thing to do under certain circumstances, and after taking care of a severely mentally handicapped son for so many years, she knows. Her advice and experience is really helping mom now, and we both appreciate it. Most of all, both Keith and Becky's example of patience, unconditional love, and submission to the Lord's will has been a great blessing to mom and dad, and me. You two would have made fantastic pioneers, as well.

Come to think of it, our whole family would have done well back in those days. Each of you have faced, or will face, grave difficulties, and each of you square your shoulders and march on. You're wonderful, and I love you! Thank you for being my family.

Love, Aunt Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment