Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Are We In Snowflake, or Mesa? June 23, 2008



June 23, 2008

Dear Family,

What a difference a day makes. Dad seems to be doing better and better, relatively speaking. Last week his strength was improving a little, but now he seems to be fading back into the past in his mind.

He got it set in his head that he was on the old property in Mesa where he was born. Friday morning while mom was at the doctors he told me he really wanted to take a walk around the place because he couldn't quite get his bearings straight. We walked outside while he tried to figure out where the rail-road track was, and the old Alma School. He was sure they were just over the hill somewhere.

As we walked he kept pointing north, telling me he was born just a quarter of a mile that way. It made him so happy to think he had come home that I tried to play along. We figured out if that was Main Street to the north, then the road to the west must be Alma School, and the rail-road tracks would be somewhere over where the telephone lines were on the south.

Dad got happier and happier, especially when he asked who the green house belonged to, and I told him it was his. He was so excited that he got to live on the same property where he was born. He told me over and over again that it was wonderful that his life had gone full circle and he had come home.

“Who are you?” he would ask me every little while, and then be apologetic for forgetting me. Then he would tell me that he loved me. It made me cry a couple of times.

Mom says dad believed they were at Alma School for three or four days, but last night was different. Dad wanted to go for a walk outside again, so we all trooped out and visited Linda on the road for awhile, she was doing a lovely job making flower beds under the trees along their road.

Dad wanted to walk down the road and see what was on down below their house. Mom was worn out, so I took him by the hand and we walked down the hill. It felt so strange, holding my dad's hand and helping him walk, almost like he was the little child and I was the mother. He seemed to know that we were in Snowflake, and kept talking about how he had always wanted to live up here, where the climate was better than in the Valley, and how nice it was. He also kept telling me that he needed to go for a walk like this every day so he could get his strength back and enjoy his last few years living up here in Snowflake. That made me cry again, but this time because the fog seemed to be lifting a little in his mind, and it was so good to have him back.

Dad was really worn out by the time we got back to the house, but he was proud of himself for going so far, and determined to continue exercising.

I have no idea how he will be today. I want to believe he will continue to get stronger in mind and body. I hope so. One way or the other, I am glad he had such a good night last night.

I love you guys. Thanks so much for all your prayers and support. You are the best family in the world!

Love, Aunt Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment