Monday, June 10, 2013

Moe Could Retire!



“Gale, guess what?” Moe asked as soon as I got him on the phone for our daily phone call. “Remember Keith, my assistant at work? Well, we were talking today, and he told me that since the girls are still in school, they should be eligible to get Social Security benefits when I retire!”

“Really, why?”

“I don't know, but that's the way it works. If someone is old enough to retire and get Social Security, and they have children under eighteen, the children are also eligible to get benefits. I looked it up, and it looks like we will get more money after I retire than I make now!”

“You're kidding!”

“No. Between the extra Social Security payments and my retirement from work, there's no reason for me to keep working until next July. I can retire next month, if I want to. Isn't that great?”

“It's incredible!”

“Do you know what else?” Moe continued. “Keith came into my office this morning to talk to me, and we had finished and he had actually left when he got the impression to turn around and come back to tell me about this He said it was like an angel or something told him to go back!”

“That's really cool,” I assured Moe.

“I know,” Moe agreed. “It gave us a chance to have a good talk about the gospel. Talk about the Lord helping us out!”

The following week we made an appointment with the Social Security Administration offices in Show Low. They confirmed what we had learned. When Moe retired, both of our girls would receive monthly Social Security checks until they turned eighteen.

This was just one more of the tender blessings the Lord had given us since dad decided he and mom should move to Snowflake. I could hardly believe it. Moe immediately applied for Social Security and set his retirement date for the following month. He was not going to have to make the three hour commute down to the Valley any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment