Friday, June 21, 2013

Pray for Dad's Peace



August 18, 2008

Dear Family,

I hope you are all good today. We are well here in Snowflake, physically, but dad isn't doing very well emotionally, and he has asked for your help and prayers.

You know how a few months ago dad got up in the middle of the night and was walking outside, very agitated and upset because he thought the police were coming to get him for something he had done? Well, I suppose that anxiety has never really left him, or if it had, it has come back. Although he is not agitated to the point of trying to escape, he is very worried and upset about something he thinks he has done wrong, although he can’t quite remember what it is.

He was very concerned yesterday during church.  Moe was worried about the look on his face and the way he held his head in his hands. Uncle Alan talked to dad after the meeting and assured him that it was the disease that's making him think he has done something terrible, but he is still very worried.

I visited with dad this morning, and he tried to explain to me what was wrong, but finally gave up and said he couldn't quite remember what it was, but it was something very bad and he didn't know what to do about it.

“I know you, dad,” I assured him, “and I know you would never do anything bad. Remember how you always talked about our whole family with such pride because we all WANT to do what is right, and we try to do it? Well, we learned that from you! If anyone in the world wants to be good, it's you,dad.”

I don't think I convinced him.

“I sure hope you are right,” he told me, “but I can't make myself believe it.”

“Oh, dad,” I tried again. “It is the disease that you have which makes you think you've done something wrong. You really haven't.”

“I sure HOPE what you are saying is true,” dad repeated, but I could tell it wasn't making him feel any better.

“Well, dad, you're going to have to trust me, because I really do know what I'm talking about. You're going to just have to keep on hoping and having faith that what we are telling you is true.”

"What can I do for you, dad?” I asked him after awhile. “What would you like me to do?”

“Please, pray for me,” was his request.

I'm afraid he meant to pray for him to be able to get forgiveness, which of course he doesn't need, but I told him I would sure pray for him, and that I would contact all the rest of the family and get you to pray for him, as well. I told him we would pray for his peace of mind, and that the Lord will help him to forget whatever it is that is causing him such great anxiety so that he can feel comfort.

Dad was so happy when I told him that we would all pray for him. Just knowing that you are all out there, petitioning the Lord on his behalf, really brought him great comfort.

So please, everybody, pray for dad to find peace. He loves you all, as I know you love him. Thank you so much for being there for him right now. I believe having this family is the greatest blessing dad has, besides having mom for his wife.

Love, Aunt Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment