Friday, March 29, 2013

To Fill the World With Love



When I was a teenager I fell in love with the musical, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, starring Peter O'Toole and Petula Clark. Perhaps it wasn't the most theatrically sophisticated movie of all time, but it made me feel good, and I loved the music. Especially the theme song, To Fill The World With Love.

“I love that song,” dad told me one night as we watched a rerun of the movie on TV. “It says exactly what I want to do. Have someone sing it at my funeral for me, OK?”

I thought that was a kind of funny request, but I never forgot it. Dad really did try to pattern his life after the message of the song, and he pretty much succeeded.


To Fill the World With Love
In the morning of my life I shall look to the sunrise.
At a moment in my life when the world is new.
And the blessing I shall ask is that God will grant me,
To be brave and strong and true,
And to fill the world with love my whole life through.


In the evening of my life I shall look to the sunset,
At a moment in my life when the night is due.
And the question I shall ask only I can answer.
Was I brave and strong and true?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?


Dad passed away four years ago, and his grandchildren sang this song in tribute for him, because he did fill the world with love. Now it's my turn to try to do the same. Hopefully some day my grandchildren will want to sing this song for me, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment