Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tais



I absolutely adored having babies, but second best was having grandchildren! What fun!

Linnea, my oldest daughter, gave me my first granddaughter. Linnea was expecting all through the fall, her due date the end of December, but for some unexplained reason her baby stopped growing as the time progressed. Although her baby seemed to be healthy, she just didn't grow. The doctors had a name for her condition, but not an exact date of delivery, they just didn't know how the baby was going to do. Consequently, I tried to get my Christmas shopping done early because it looked like she might have the baby before Christmas.

Linnea called me one day in the middle of December. She had a doctor's appointment, and wanted me to come with her. She was scared, the doctors always explained things so technically, and it was hard to get them to listen to her and answer her questions. This time she was concerned because she hadn't felt the baby moving much lately.

Linnea was far enough along, so the doctor decided to induce her. I drove her to the hospital and got her settled in, and pretty soon Jason was able to join her. They began inducing her, slowly, and Linnea was in the hospital all day, but early the next morning she delivered a healthy, although very tiny, baby girl, who weighed only three pounds, ten ounces. Linnea and Jason named her Tais, and she was just beautiful! How much I loved my first granddaughter!

Once born, Tais grew just fine, and we had the best Christmas with this tiny, beautiful baby girl.  What a fun Christmas present she was.  Soon, she was old enough to come visit me, and I began the best tradition ever, Grandma Days! 

At first, Tais just came over and slept at my house while her mom had a couple of hours to herself, but it wasn't long before she was old enough to come play.  I remember singing to her on the way to our house, all my favorite old children's songs, so she wouldn't be scared.  Kami and Krissi weren't that much older, Krissi was only three-and-a-half, so they joined in singing in the back seat, Kami in her booster seat on one side, Tais in her infant seat in the middle, and Krissi in her car seat on the other.  Our car never sounded so happy as those trips when it rang with "Old MacDonald" and "Rock a-bye Baby".  What fun we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment