Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Simple Blessings


Sometimes the darnedest things happen, despite my help. Moe had an air show that he had to work at, he ran the fuel farm at William's Gateway Airport in Mesa, and was given some free tickets for his family to use. My cousin's son, Matthew, who was stationed at Davis Monthan Air Force Base down in Tucson happened to visit us the week before, and Moe offered the tickets to him. Since I was not going to be home to give him the tickets, I told him I'd tape them to the door, but like an idiot, I went off to run my errands and totally forgot.

Matt and a friend drove all the way up from Tucson, came to our house to get the tickets, and couldn't find them. He finally went around to dad's side of the house and rang their doorbell. Thank goodness dad was home, but even with his help they couldn't find the tickets.

If it had happened today, they would simply have called my cell phone, but we didn't have them back in those days. When I got home from the store dad told me what had happened, and I felt awful. To think, Matt had brought his friend all this way for nothing. But what could I do? Be miserable.

Late that night we got a call from Matt, and he told us the rest of the story.

“Because the tickets weren't on your door,” Matt told me, “we went around to the back and found your dad. He invited us to come inside while he looked for the tickets. Gale, it was the strangest thing. My friend is not a member of the church, but he got to talking with Uncle Ralph and he was so impressed with the spirit in your house he couldn't quit talking about it. It was really kind of neat.

“Anyway, after we looked everywhere and couldn't find the tickets we decided to just go on to the air-show anyway and buy tickets at the gate. On the way my friend wanted to know more about you dad, and why your house felt so good. It led into a long discussion about the church, and what Mormons believe and everything. It was really cool.

“Then, as we drove up the road to the airshow, a woman in the car next to ours leaned out of her window and asked if we would like to have her two tickets, just like that! Can you believe it? So we got into the airshow for free, after all!”

Amazing! I keep forgetting that the Lord can do miracles, and that He has a hand in all parts of our life, even me being forgetful.

No comments:

Post a Comment