Monday, September 24, 2012

Why Wasn't He Mr. Right?

I've wondered, sometimes, why some people find it so easy to meet the right person, fall in love, and get married, and others have such a hard time?  I hear people talk about soul mates, and wonder if there really are such things?  Do you suppose some people fell in love up in heaven before they came to earth, and when those couples met here they remembered each other?  What about the rest of us?  Were we the really cool ones up in heaven, playing the field, getting to know everybody, but never settling down with just one special someone?  Or were we the shy, backwards type, waiting to get to earth before we finally got up enough confidence to fall in love?  Maybe some people who never meet the right person here on earth can't find their soul mates because they have different missions to fulfill, so they lived in a different period of time? Maybe they agreed not to get married at all during this life, waiting until they were reunited back in heaven to settle down.

Anyway, I have a vision in my minds eye of what happened to me before I came here to earth.  Something someone once said sparked a kind of half remembrance inside my head, and I can almost see myself, sitting down with Heavenly Father, having a talk before it was my turn to come here to earth.

"Gale," Heavenly Father would have said, "would you mind doing me a favor while you're down there on earth?"

"Sure, Father," I would reply.  "What do you need me to do?"

"Well, there's this guy," Heavenly Father would explain.  "He's going to have a really tough time down there, partly because of traits and imperfections he will inherit, partly because of life experiences he's going to go through, but he's going to need someone extra special to put up with him and give him a hand.  The problem is, you won't be able to fix him, you'll just be able to give him a head start and help him along a little bit.  Would you mind donating a few years of your life to help him out, before you get married to your own eternal mate?"

"Sure, I can do that," I replied easily.  "I'd be glad to help this fellow out if you think I can do him some good.  Do you want me to be his girl friend for a couple of years or something?"

"Well, actually, would you mind being his wife for awhile?"

"You mean, marry him and then get divorced?"  I asked in astonishment.  "I thought that was not OK?"

"It's not," Heavenly Father told me, "but sometimes it's what happens anyway.  I'm sorry to ask you to do this, Gale, and I wouldn't if you weren't such a strong, good person.  I'm afraid it's going to hurt real bad, and be a huge sacrifice on your part, but you can make a difference for this boy through your love and example.  What do you think?"

"Of course I'd be glad to do it," I assured Heavenly Father enthusiastically.  "As long as it won't mess up my own destiny, I can spend a little time helping someone else out first.  You can count on me!"

And I'm sure, way back up there in heaven, that I thought it wouldn't be a very big deal to give up part of my life to help a brother out.  I bet I thought it would be easy. 

Perhaps that's why I had such a big crush on Gene when I was young.  We weren't meant for each other, we had very little in common and I could never think of anything to say to him, but he kept me from falling in love with any of the other guys I met until it was time for me to meet Sheldon.  I went back and forth, back and forth, thinking for sure that Gene was The One and he would fall in love with me, and then sure that he wasn't Mr. Right and that he would never ask me out again.  The year I turned twenty ended with me half in love and half out of love with Gene.  By the middle of the following March my whole world had turned around.

No comments:

Post a Comment