Saturday, September 22, 2012

Falling in Like

Gene did ask me out again, but not for about a month.  It was so frustrating! I went with other fellows, bowling and to firesides and young adult activities, but it was hard to have fun when I was watching Gene across the room, having fun with other girls.  Actually, I went out with Gene about once a month, but time seemed to go so slowly in between dates that I felt like he must not be interested in me.  I sure was interested in him. 

I was in like.  A girl I knew had used that phrase to describe how she felt about a boy she later married, and it explained exactly how I felt.  I didn't know what love was, not real love.  I mean, I knew how I felt about mom and dad and my family, but I didn't know what love between a boy and a girl was supposed to feel like.  But I knew I liked Gene, a lot, and all I could do was think about him.  Every time I drove anywhere I took the route past Gene's house, whether it meant going out of my way or not, just so I could see if his car was in the driveway.  It felt like a little electric shock passed through me every time I saw his car. 

When the summer ended and everyone went back to school I got a brilliant idea which I pushed on the other young adults.  How about getting together once a week for early morning scripture studies?  Everyone seemed to think it was a good idea, probably because they all wanted an excuse to see each other, too.  So we set up Thursday mornings at 6:00, and we met for an hour to study.  It was fun, and Gene usually came.  I got a new set of scriptures for my birthday, and a green leather case, specifically because Gene had a green case.

I went back and forth, back and forth, trying to decide of he liked me or not.  When he asked me out I was sure he did, when weeks went by without a date I was sure he didn't.  In the fall I was talking with a couple of my girl friends about how silly boys were.  We were bemoaning the fact that we had to wait for them to ask us out, when we came up with a fantastic, extraordinary, exciting idea.  Why couldn't we put together a big group date?  We could arrange dates for each other so none of us would have to ask out our own guy, and we would have a dance and a dinner.  It sounded like lots of fun, a good way to make sure that all of us got dates, and if there was anyone in particular we really wanted to go with, we would let our friends know so they could make the arrangements.  Of course I asked my friends to put Gene and me together.

It was such a fun night!  We decorated with bales of hay and fall flowers, everyone dressed western, and we danced the night away to country music and square dancing.  We even had one of the guys take pictures so we would have keep sakes of that wonderful night.  Looking back now, I realize that it was a special night for more people than just me.  Two of my best friends ended up marrying the boys they were paired with, and have lived happily ever after.  I guess we were better match makers than we realized.  If only it had been me.

No comments:

Post a Comment