Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Learning


"What's the best thing to do when you're sad?" a young King Arthur asked Merlin in Camelot. "Learn something," Merlin replied.  I've come to discover that for me, learning something also helps when I'm scared, angry, or lonely.  Putting something new in my mind helps me forget, or at least put into perspective, my troubles.

I had the opportunity to learn all kinds of new things when I was in college.  Perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much.  I mostly studied elementary education, which meant I not only learned how to be a teacher, I also needed to learn all the information I was going to have to teach some day.

At first I had to take the generic classes that all college students take, like English, reading, math, science, and history.  I'd taken all of these classes in High School, but now instead of thinking, "Why do I have to learn this stupid stuff?"  I tried to remember that I needed to learn the information because some day I would be trying to teach it to my own students.  That mind-set helped me to focus better. 

One thing I learned quickly; I was never going to be a great math teacher.  Somehow my mind just did not work in those directions.  My Children's Literature teacher told us that we should read poetry to our children when they were young if we wanted them to be great mathmeticians.  Perhaps mom should have read me more poetry.  I knew an engineer once who loved math.  He said it was like learning a new language, and once you understood it the doors opened and knowledge just flooded into your brain.  I tried, but I never learned that language.  I still get mixed up figuring our what an interger (that's probably not even the right word) is.

I learned lots of other good stuff, though.  Like, YOU are your best visual aid.  When I teach, my kids may learn a little if they listen to me, but they learn a lot more if I have brought something with me to help focus their attention.  One day one of my education teachers suggested that the best visual aid we can use is our own selves.  He said we needed to be energetic, moving around to keep our student's attention, using animation in our voices and facial expressions.  He actually suggested that we ought to jump on a desk and do a little dance if we saw our students minds wandering.  I've never done that, but my kids sure liked it when I dressed in costume to teach about famous American heroes.

The first time I tried being my own visual aid was when I had to give an English Literature presentation on Edger Allen Poe's poem, "The Bells."  I really didn't want to do it.  I was still shy and uncomfortable in front of people, especially a bunch of college students and my professor.  Mom suggested dressing up in costume, turning out the lights, and using a candle to add atmosphere.  That actually sounded like a good idea.  It's not so scarey to stand in front of people when you are pretending to be someone other than yourself, and the dim lighting would help hide my nervousness.

On the day of the presentation I felt a little silly walking into class in an old-fashioned, floor length, maroon gown while carrying a candlestick, but it sure made it easier for me to stand at the front of the class and recite the poem with feeling and expression.  I was relieved when everyone clapped enthusiastically as I finished my presentation, and it really made me feel good when the teacher gave me an A+. 

Somehow, this experience broke the ice for me, and it was easier after that to get up and perform in front of people.  And that is what I discovered teaching is all about.  Performing in front of an audience, just like if I was in Las Vegas up on a stage.  The better prepared and the more enthusiastic I am, the more well received my lessons are.  Another good thing to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment