Thursday, February 9, 2012

What Would You Do With $100?

I just read a delightful story about a young man who was out jogging one evening when he saw a piece of paper lying on the street.  He about ran over it when something prompted him to stop and pick it up.  Someone had written on the paper, "Pick me up, I'm yours."  Inside he found a $100 bill!   Wow!  The young man said he grinned all the way home, thinking about the fun stuff he could buy with $100.  I mean, think about it...... trips to McDonalds,  movie tickets,  a new IPod?  He had so much fun it made him start to think about giving other people the same pleasure, and he decided he wanted to try to make 100 other people happy, too.  Obviously he couldn't go around leaving $100 bills lying on the ground, but he realized even a little bit of money could suprise and please someone. 

This young man found a bank that was doing a promotional offer, where you opened an account with $100 and they would match your deposit.  He deposited his $100 and the bank gave him $100, so he had $200 to work with.  Since then he has been giving away $2 at a time, with the goal of suprising 100 people.  He has bought tickets for the people behind him at the dollar movies,  he has left quarters on the gum ball machine,  he has bought food at fast food restaurants for homeless people, and much more. 

I loved reading about this story.  I can imagine how much fun it must have been to discover that $100 bill on the street.  I can also imagine how much fun this young man is having giving the money away!  Honestly, I'm afraid I wouldn't have had the forsight to come up with a plan to make 101 people happy (because he is finding the most happiness of all so he is the 101st person) but this story has sure inspired me.  I've been wondering all day how I can follow his example.

No comments:

Post a Comment