Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Groundhogs Day!

Did you know that today is Groundhogs Day?  Well, if you're like most of the world, you stopped celebrating it after you graduated from 2nd grade, but it still is a holiday, and it's been around for a long time.  Back in early Germany they celebrated Feb. 2nd, which is Candlemas Day, by looking at the sky to see if it was clear or not.  If the sun came out and a hedgehog cast its shadow they predicted snow would fall all the way into May.  Bummer!

As you might suspect, the prediction isn't right very much of the time, in fact it's been wrong 69 times out of the last 100 years, but oh well.  This year Punxsutawney Phil  (we use a groundhog here in the USA) saw his shadow, so maybe we'll have 6 more weeks of winter, or maybe not.

When I was little, growing up in the Arizona desert, I always hoped the groundhog would see his shadow.  Winter was the best time of the year to me.  I also prayed every night that it would snow.  Neither desire ever happened, darn it.  Usually by the first of February we were enjoying the high 70's, and the 90's and 100's were just around the corner.  Tourists loved it, but I dreamed of winter. 

Oh well, Phil, I hope you are right this year.  Sorry all you easterners who are tired of the snow, you can send it on down to me!

Now, because that wasn't much of a story, I'll add a little one on the end.  My Grandpa Johnson was born in Brazil, to Swedish immigrants who didn't like the heat and soon moved back to Sweden where Grandpa was raised.  He immigrated to America when he was 20 years old.  Grandpa loved to find reasons to celebrate or have a party.  He was the only Swede around that wore green on Saint Patricks Day, he celebrated all the other holidays, and even made a special day out of election day.  Grandpa died when I was only 4, but I remember sitting on his lap while he told us stories about Peter Rabbit and other fun characters.  Then he would always have mom or one of the aunts go get pieces of Wrigleys Spearment Gum to give to all of the grandchildren.  He passed away on February 2, 1961.  I miss you, Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment