Thursday, November 29, 2012

Guardian Angels


"That sounds kind of like what happened to me last year," my eight year old son, Russell, burst out before he thought about what he was saying.

"What does?" Holly and Linnea wanted to know immediately.  We were reading "The Last Battle" from the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. 

"Well, it kind of reminds me of something I saw outside your door one night, mom," Russell spoke to me, ignoring his big sisters.

I could tell Russell was embarrassed, now, so I tried to stop Linnea and Holly from teasing him.  "What happened," I coaxed him quietly.

"Well, it was one night last year," he told me.  "I was kind of scared, so I got up to come into your bedroom, but I saw angels guarding your door so I turned around and went back to my bedroom."

"Why didn't you tell me about it?" I asked, surprised. 

"I thought you might laugh at me," Russell admitted, "and then I forgot about it." 

"How did it make you feel?" I asked, hoping I could get him to tell me a little more about his experience.

"Kind of scared," he told me, "but it also made me feel safe because I knew they were there, taking care of us."

I was amazed, and impressed.  "Maybe Heavenly Father let you see them to help you not be frightened anymore," I told Russell. 

"Oh, come on, mom," Holly said in exasperation.  "You don't really think he saw angels, do you?"

"Of course I do, " I told her sternly.  "I know my guardian angel watches over me all the time, and the Bishop mentioned angels who guard our home in a blessing he gave me a few years ago.  So of course I think he saw real angels.  I just wish I could see them some time," I sighed.  "But I guess I don't need to see them to know they are here."

No comments:

Post a Comment