Friday, January 25, 2013

October Conference and Kohl's Ranch


Every six months the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds a general conference, the first of April and the first of October. The kids and I had made a tradition out of going someplace new each conference, renting a hotel room, and watching the four conference sessions on TV. Occasionally we found ourselves someplace that didn't carry conference on TV, then we went to the local meetinghouse and watched, but most of the time we were able to watch from the comfort of our hotel room. During the break between sessions and in the evening we went out exploring.

I looked forward to these mini-vacations with great anticipation. For me they presented a time to relax, unwind, and have fun with my kids, as well as an opportunity to hear the words of the prophets, learn more about the Savior, and have my spirit filled.

I told Moe all about our conference tradition and invited him to join us for October Conference, 1993. We were going to Kohl's Ranch, about 20 miles North East of Payson. Kohl's Ranch was one of my favorite land-marks on the way to the cabin, an old-time ranch turned into a hotel, situated on the West side of Tonto Creek. Every time I passed Kohl's Ranch I craned my neck out the window, trying to catch a glimpse of its swimming pool before I zoomed past, but I'd never actually stopped to go inside, so I was excited about our plans to stay there.

Moe said he had never stopped at the ranch, either, and he thought it sounded like fun. The problem was that his oldest son's wife was expecting their first baby, and he wanted to be around when she went into the hospital. He reserved a hotel room, and then waited to see what happened.

The kids and I left after school Friday, made the hour and a half drive up the Beeline Highway to Payson, turned right, and drove on to Kohl's Ranch, getting there about 5:00. We checked into the hotel, then carried our bags and suitcases down to our room. I loved the old time western feeling of the ranch.  There was a huge log burning fireplace in the lobby, elk and deer heads on the walls, and carved wood and leather furniture everywhere. Our room continued the theme, with country quilts covering two queen size beds and rustic pictures on the walls. It was just delightful!

I called Moe from our room to see how things were going. His daughter-in-law had just gone into labor, and he was heading down to the hospital.

“It looks like I won't be coming up tonight,” he told me over the phone, “but if everything goes well I'll try to come tomorrow afternoon some time.”

“That would be great,” I told him. “I hope everything goes well with the baby, and we'll see you if you can make it.”

First of all the kids wanted to find the swimming pool. It was lovely outside. Ponderosa pines towered overhead, the forest came right up to the parking lot, and we could hear the creek tumbling over boulders not far away. We found the swimming pool behind the ranch, but due to the lateness of the season it was closed. There was a hot tub, though, kept open year round, which made the kids happy. They quickly ran back to our room, changed into their suits, then ran back out to the jacuzzi.

I stayed in the room, unpacking and arranging things while trying to figure out what channels we got on the TV.  It didn't look like the hotel's cable carried conference.

The kids came back an hour later, toasty warm from the hot-tub, laughing and enjoying themselves. They dried off, the girls took showers, then we all got into our pajamas and watched a movie while we lay in our comfortable beds. I called Moe about 10:30. His daughter-in-law was doing fine, but she hadn't had the baby yet.

The next morning I woke up early, showered, and got ready for the day. I called Moe about 8:00 to see how things were going.

“Are you a grandpa yet?” I asked when he picked up his phone. His voice sounded pretty groggy when he answered, but happy, too.

“Yes,” I am,” he told me proudly. “My daughter-in law had a little boy about 2:00 this morning.”

“Congratulations!” I told him. “I bet you're worn out now.”

“I am pretty tired," he agree. “I think I'll sleep a bit longer, but then I'll drive up this afternoon, so I'll see you tonight.”

“Great,” I told him, excited he was going to be able to come for part of our weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment