Saturday, January 26, 2013

He Thought About Me!




The kids and I ended up driving into Payson to watch conference. During the break between sessions we got lunch and explored some of our favorite shops in town. It was about 4:00 when we got back to Kohl's ranch, and began watching for Moe. He walked into the lobby a little after 5:00.

“He's here, he's here,” the boys shouted as soon as they saw Moe.

“Hi,” I greeted him, as excited as they were.

It just felt right, having Moe with us to enjoy our adventure. His room was not far from our own, and we spent most of our time together. Moe was great with the kids, playing arcade games with them in the game room Saturday night, exploring the woods and hiking a little way up the creek between sessions on Sunday, and playing card games with us Sunday night. I finally got him to myself late that evening, after the kids had settled down.

We walked hand in hand down to the lobby, sitting on a leather couch in front of the crackling fire.

“This has been so nice,” I told Moe happily. “I'm really glad you were able to come with us this weekend.”

“We're going to have even more fun tomorrow,” he assured me.

I always took an extra day off for conference, giving us a three day weekend, so we still had Monday to play and have fun before heading back down to The Valley. Moe had towed his sail-boat up behind his truck, and we planned to drive on up the rim to Woods Canyon Lake for a picnic and some boating.

“The boys are dying to go sailing,” I agree with him, “and the girls are looking forward to getting some sun. You sure are showing them a good time this weekend.”

“They're great kids,” Moe praised.

“Yes, they are,” I agreed happily. “Thanks for liking them so much.”

Moe smiled and squeezed my hand. “I'm really enjoying getting to know them, and you.”

I looked at him, wondering if I should tell him just how much I was enjoying getting to know him, too. I didn't want to scare him off, but it seemed right to tell him what was in my heart.

“You know,” I began hesitantly, “I feel like it's really not just an accident that I met you at the Temple.”

“I feel the same way,” Moe told me, still smiling. “I knew I was going to get blessings for working there, but I wasn't expecting one of the blessings to be meeting someone like you.”

“How long have you been working there?” I asked, kind of surprised that I'd never asked him that before.

“Almost a year,” he told me. “I was called to be a Temple worker last November.”

“Really?” I asked, surprised. It was last November that my Bishop told me he was sending me to the Temple to meet my future husband.

I had not planned to tell Moe about that, but somehow the story just slipped out of my mouth. “I've actually met quite a few single men this past year,” I concluded, “but you are the only one I've felt right about.”

I looked at him shyly, hoping I hadn't just ruined everything by pushing too quickly. He grinned back at me, squeezed my hand again, and said, “You know, I've been single for a long time, and I really haven't been looking to get married again. But a strange thing happened while I was out hunting last month.” He stopped, cleared his throat, then started again. “I was happy to be out hunting, to get a chance to forget about work and everything at home, but for some reason you kept popping into my mind. It was really strange, and it almost worried me. I mean, I was out hunting, doing my favorite thing, but I kept thinking about you.”

“Really,” I asked, squeezing his hand tighter and feeling like my heart was floating. This was turning into the nicest weekend I'd ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment