Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Christmas Without Mom and Dad



I missed mom and dad abominably when they left for their mission to Germany.  I was 36 years old, and so far during my life I had lived in the same house as my parents for 23 years. Six of the thirteen years I lived on my own we rented a little house behind my folks, and saw them every day anyway.  When I got divorced and began teaching school mom took over my job, so for the past five years she had taken care of my little children and got the older ones to and from school. Anyway, I was totally spoiled, and when they were gone I really missed my parents.

That first Christmas was the hardest. A few days later I wrote a letter and told mom and dad all about it.

Dec. 29, 1992
Dear Grandpa and Grandma,
     Alyssa just told me that today was her unbirthday. How exciting! She wanted me to tell you that.
Now, for my letter.....
     Happy New Year! It was wonderful talking to you on the phone on Christmas Eve, you sounded so good, and close. Christmas was lovely. It started off fun talking to you, then we ate Cherry Fritters and drank the fruit tea you sent us and opened those cute little chocolate balls. (Mom had found Kindereggs in Germany, little balls covered with chocolate and filled with tiny toys.)
     Our Christmas Eve Smorgasbord with grandma Johnson had to be moved to her ward building this year because Aunt Amy couldn't get her building. Linda and Alan went to the wrong ward, but they could tell by the cars that it wasn't right and only Alan went in and asked. Keith and Becky went to the wrong ward, took their food in and put it on the table and began to talk with people before they realized they were in the wrong building. Poor Julie had to go to her in-laws party first. She had explained that they needed to leave at 7:00, but her sister-in-law was a pain and made them feel like heals for leaving the party early, so they were kind of late. They also went to Aunt Amy's ward. When Julie walked in , already late and upset, and couldn't find her own family she almost burst into tears. It was the last straw of a horrible day. But they did find us and everything worked out OK. (I'm afraid poor Julie didn't have a very nice Christmas at all this year, what with you being gone and her in-laws fighting over who got to see them and everything. We're trying hard to make this week a better one for her.
     The smorgasbord was nice, but our family whispered to each other that the meatballs just didn't taste right at all this year. We missed your magic touch, mom. But the moss pudding was just right, and grandma gave each of the grandkids a BIG candy bar with a picture of her, and it was just great. The only thing wrong with the whole night was missing you.
     Christmas morning Alyssa was up at 5:00 going crazy. (She reminded me of me.) So we got everyone up.  (Linnea reminded me of Keith, she didn't want to get up. Only her reasoning was that if you got up at 5:00 Christmas would be all over by 6:00 and then what would you have to look forward to?) 
     After the kids opened their gifts they woke up Sharon and Colton and watched them open their presents. Then we took our presents down to grandma Johnson's so we could see her on Christmas before the kids went to Sheldon's. I'd told grandma we would come down early, so she was waiting for us with breakfast. We had Swedish pancakes and bacon and orange juice and it was a ball.
     I dropped the kids off at Sheldon's on the way home and then came home and mopped the floors and picked up the house and put a turkey in the oven for dinner that night. Then I went outside and watered the flowers and pulled some weeds, it was disgustingly warm on Christmas, and felt sorry for myself spending Christmas all alone. Just about then Julie called. She was worried about me being by myself, and although she couldn't come over to visit because her in-laws were there, she invited me to come see her. What an angel she is. I went over and visited for a while, and it was lovely. Not only was it good to have something to do, but it was nice to be with Julie. It was about this time that I began to realize what a hard week she was having, and that also was good for me. Anyway, we had a good visit, and cried just a little bit missing you two, and then I came home and got ready for everyone else to come over for dinner. We ate all the leftovers, (only there seemed to be more when we got done than when we started) and I made Swedish meatballs and a turkey and we sat around and giggled and told stories and enjoyed ourselves all evening. All in all, it was a lovely Christmas, I only hope yours was as nice.
     I love you, mom and dad. I'm sure proud of you, and hope that you're having a wonderful time. Don't worry about us, we're all fine. Oh, I've got to tell you one more thing. Keith is really looking out for each of us. Christmas Eve after they left the party he came back in and found each of us girls and gave us a hug and wished us Merry Christmas. Can you imagine that? Keith giving us a hug? It was almost like you were there for just one second, dad, and it made me cry. Anyway, he's holding down the fort for us and we're all fine, so work hard and don't worry about us and we'll see you soon.
                                                       Love you lots and lots
                                                                     Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment