Friday, January 27, 2012

The Lost Princess - part 4

continued from yesterday.....

Just then, there was a loud noise from the ballroom below, and the girl and bird looked over the balcony to see what was happening.

The dragon stood in the center of the floor, swinging its head back and forth. The others on the dance floor were slowly backing away, as if afraid of the giant serpent.

"What is wrong?" the princess heard her father ask, as he pushed his way through the crowds towards the dragon.

The dragon slowly turned its body fully around to face the King. "I will not be insulted!" the dragon hissed at the king.

"Who has insulted you?" the king asked. "I’m sure no one meant to."

"Yes, they did," the dragon replied menacingly. "They," and it pointed towards a group of unicorns, "said that my magic is inferior to theirs."

"I am sure you misunderstood," the King reiterated calmly. "Everyone in this kingdom has different magical qualities, but we never compare ourselves. One person's strength may not be the same as another, but we are each endowed with wonderful gifts."

"Soooooo," the dragon hissed slowly. "Do you think that I am as powerful as you?"

"Of course," the king insisted. "But it doesn’t matter how much magic you have. It matters how you use it."

"I see," the dragon’s eyes narrowed in hatred. "And how do you think I should be using my magic?"

"To improve yourself and others," answered the King simply.

"And you don’t think that is what I have been doing?" sneered the dragon. "Well, perhaps I can find a better way to serve you, Your Majesty."  And then, in a voice filled with hatred, it prophesied, "I will prove to you, oh King, just how powerful, and beneficent I really am. Tonight, I will leave your kingdom. In so doing I will provide a great service to you! I will give you a chance to prove your power. Then we shall see who is the most magical creature in the world!"

Suddenly, with a fluid motion, the dragon’s great wings unfurled and he rose from the dance floor. Hovering above the king, he looked him straight in the eye. His voice dripping with hatred, he said, "To help me become worthy of your continued attention, oh King, I shall take someone with me who can teach me how to become as good as you."

Swiftly, before the king or anyone knew what was happening, the great serpent swept up to the balcony and grabbed the little princess with its claws.

"No!" cried the king. "Stop him!"

Immediately the king’s guards drew their swords and rushed at the dragon.

"Do you really think you can stop me?" it laughed as it rose into the air.

Seeing they would be unable to get at the beast with their swords, archers stepped forward and drew back their arrows to shoot. With a roar, the dragon opened it’s mouth and shot flire thirty feet into the air. Draperies at the windows burst into flame, and women screamed as they tried to keep their gowns from catching on fire. In the chaos, the dragon hovered above the dance floor, the princess dangling from its claws.

The canary flew after them in a desperate attempt to help. He grabbed at the princesses golden necklace and pulled, but it broke from around her neck and fell into the flames below as the dragon flew out of the window, carrying the princess off into the night.

In anguish, the king stooped to pick up the golden medallion and held it to his breast as he watched the giant serpent fly away, the hot metal searing his hand like the pain that seared his heart.

to be continued tomorrow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment