Thursday, May 16, 2013

Selling the Cabin



October, 2006

I had to leave mom in the hospital in Show Low and come home at the end of the week to take care of the rest of my family. She was doing better, but I'd been away from my little girls too long. Of course, they hadn't even noticed, since they'd been staying at their friends house, and having a glorious time!

Alyssa and Matt blessed their first baby daughter, Kaylan, that Sunday. She looked like an angel. Mom and dad felt bad for not being there, but Alyssa understood.

Two days later, dad drove down from Snowflake to get some of moms stuff. She was doing better, but Alan wanted her to stay at his house so he could keep an eye on her. Things were pretty much ready by this time for mom and dad to start building their own house across the street from Linda and Alan, if only our house in Gilbert would sell so they would have enough money. Dad was determined not to take out a mortgage.

I had a Primary Presidency meeting that morning. Dad was there when I got home, and he came over to our side of the house to talk to me.

“Gale,” he began, “I met a man up in Snowflake yesterday who is interested in buying the cabin. He knows Linda and Alan, and his son has gone there with them.”

“Oh, brother!” I thought. “Here we go again.” I'd hoped, what with mom being sick and everything, that dad had forgotten his concern over what would happen to the cabin after he was gone. We'd discussed it in a family meeting a year ago, where he'd explained his fear that the cabin might become a source of contention eventually, with so many descendants all wanting to use it at the same time, but we hadn't talked about it since then.

“I sold it to him today,” dad said.

What?

“He really wanted to buy it,” he tried to soften the look of shock he must have seen on my face, “and he paid us enough to start the house in Snowflake.”

The room reeled around me. It was as if someone had pulled a rug out from under my feet and I was flat on the floor with the breath knocked out of me. It was awful! I know it's silly, but hearing that dad had sold the cabin was worse than having my husband walked out on me all those years ago. I belonged to the cabin. It was who I was; it was my dreams, my hopes, my happiness; and it felt as if a part of me had just been cut out!

No comments:

Post a Comment