Friday, May 17, 2013

2006, A Confusing Year



“What a confusing year this has been,” I told mom as I sat beside her on the couch in our big family room. It was New Years Eve, 2006, and we were sitting in the big family room, visiting.

“It sure has been,” Mom agreed. “This time last year, dad and I thought we were getting ready to on a mission. I had no idea we would be building a house and planning to move up to Snowflake, instead.”

I smiled at mom. She'd already confided in me her uneasiness about moving. Dad wanted to do whatever it took to keep her healthy, and moving next door to my sister, Linda, and her husband Alan who was a doctor, seemed to be the best way to do that. But mom hated leaving her family, her friends, and her house in Gilbert.

“I really hate to think about packing,” she worried. “I wish we could just set fire to everything and start over again.”

I laughed, but understood. Mom was just now getting her strength back after being in the hospital and being diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. She still had to use oxygen, which she hated, and she tired easily.

“When does dad think the house will be done?” I asked her.

“This spring. Hopefully this house will sell before then, but what will you do if it does?”

“I don't know,” I told her honestly, sighing, “but it will be fine. Moe can retire in a couple of years, and then hopefully we can move up to Snowflake, too. In the meantime, maybe we will rent something around here. We'll see. Have you tried this dark chocolate covered fruit? I think it's yummy.”

I passed mom a bowl with chocolate covered dried blueberries, strawberries, cherries, and apricots. They were good, and I'd bought them special as a treat to celebrate New Years Eve.

“Excellent,” mom praised the candy, taking a second piece. “One thing I've decided for sure, I'm going to eat more chocolate from now on. Obviously eating healthy hasn't done me much good.”

I laughed, and agreed.

“Anyway, this has been quite a year,” I began again. “You had quadruple bypass heart surgery. Dad decided to sell the house and move to snowflake. Grandma Ashcroft passed away. Alyssa had a baby girl. You almost died again and we found out you have pulmonary hypertension. Stephen is getting ready to go on a mission. Russell found out that Melody has divorced him, and we no longer have a cabin. Wow!”

“Wow is right,” Mom seconded me. “And next year is probably going to be just as confusing.”

“I suppose so,” I contemplated. “You'll move up to Snowflake, Stephen will leave on his mission, if the house sells we'll move.......someplace. I wonder what we'll be doing on New Year's Eve next year?”

One thing's for sure, I never expected to be celebrating it in our own home up in Snowflake.

No comments:

Post a Comment