Sunday, February 17, 2013

How to Create Silence



“I wiggle my fingers, I wiggle my toes, I wiggle my shoulders I wiggle my nose. Now that's all the wiggles that are left in me, and I will be still, as still as can be.”

The kids wiggled furiously as we sang the little jingle, smiling and happily moving about.

“Now comes the hard one,” I told them with a really serious look and a twinkle in my eye. “It's really hard, but I think you can do it. Lets sing the song without making any sound at all.”

I lifted up my hands, wiggled my fingers, and silently mouthed the words to the song. A couple of children who hadn't been paying attention started singing out loud, but in seconds realized they were singing solos and joined the rest of us silently pantomiming the little song with it's actions. Total silence reigned in the chapel. It was really cool.

This was my trade-mark Primary reverence activity. I'd stumbled over it accidentally some time when leading the singing, and found it worked quicker and more efficiently than any other trick I'd tried. The Primary kids expected it at least once a week now, but it always worked.

I was often called to be Primary chorister, but right after Moe and I got married I was asked to be a councilor in the presidency, then a year later to be the President. I loved my calling. It gave me a chance to share stories as well as music with the kids, and to see their eyes light up with understanding when they learned a new concept, and to feel their sweet spirits as we talked about the beautiful principals of the gospel. They were such good kids, a little rambunctious and happy, but good kids, and I loved each of them. And I think, although it sounds kind of funny, that they loved hearing the silence one in awhile, and being a part of it. At any rate, they always joined me in our little activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment