Saturday, September 7, 2013

The End (But not really)


“There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends.”

It's been close to thirty years since I first heard that quote in the movie, “The Last Unicorn.”
It has played around in my head ever since, and I believe it is true. Nothing does end, not really.

But I have come, at last, to the end of this story. Not because it's over, I'm just up to the present and will have to live some more before I have something to write.

If I were to summarize the lessons I have learned in my life, I believe it would be this: Today is not the end, Heavenly Father is in control, and things will get better.

I knew this in my head when I was young, I know it in my soul today. I learned it as I watched my marriage dissolve twenty-six years ago. I experienced it as I struggled through years of single-motherhood, then blending a family, raising teenagers, emptying my nest, leaving behind my home, and loosing mom and dad.

As Ugo Betti once said, “To Believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair, and that there will be wonderful surprises.”

Believe me, there are!

Moe once told me that before we met his ultimate dream was to retire early, build a little cabin, and live quietly in the mountains where he could go out and watch the elk every morning and evening. Instead he married me, took on the responsibility of helping raise my five children, and blessed me with two more babies, the little girls I always knew belonged in my family. Now, twenty years later, Moe's dream has come true. He doesn't live in a little cabin, but we have a wonderful home just a half hour drive away from the mountains, where he can go every morning and evening to watch the elk and relax and enjoy nature.

Linnea now lives in Tennessee and is in the third year of pursuing her dream of becoming a doctor. Her rough and tough, outdoors-man husband has become Mr. Mom, taking care of their four children while running Dad's Restaurant, and they are all amazing!

Holly traded in her dreams of Paris and the stage for being the wife of a talented junior-high school science teacher, living in Idaho, and raising five wonderful children. She uses her talents to bless the lives of scores of children in her town, teaching voice, drama, and piano lessons, which provides enough mad money for she and her husband to travel to Europe, and gives me a chance to play with my grandchildren during their trips.

Russell continues to follow Grandpa Russell's footsteps, working hard not only to provide for his family, but also gardening and fishing and hunting with his awesome wife and four children. Work, to the rest of us, is vacation for Russell.

Alyssa lives happily with her true love, who she really did wait for and now supports while he is earning his MBA, and their four children in Utah. They spend their time training for Iron man competitions, teaching their children how to share the gospel, and making other people happy.

Stephen finally found the woman of his dreams, and they were married last spring. He has discovered that somethings really are worth waiting for, especially his sweet wife, and they are the cutest newlyweds you ever could imagine.

Kami found her true love last year, and let him go this summer to serve a two year mission for our church. Talk about sacrifice! She is learning the hard way how to put her trust in God, waiting upon him for the blessings he has promised those who do so. In the meantime, she has enrolled in the school of life, learning how to be a wife, a mother, and a housekeeper.

Krissi is just beginning her journey through life. She has one more year of school, and then watch out world, because she is coming! If you ever need a redheaded private detective with a flair for cake decorating and cross stitching, she's the one to turn to.

Me? Well, I'm living happily ever after right here in Snowflake, Arizona. In my wildest dreams I never imagined having such a perfect home and being so thoroughly satisfied. I love it! I miss mom and dad and being with my family every Sunday, but it's not like we are really so far apart. I know where everyone is, I know they are all busily doing the things they should be doing at this time, and I know we will be together again, someday. So life is good.

My only problem is I having too many things I want to do, and not enough time to do them all. But keep watching this blog. I've got at least two novels tumbling around in my head that I'm dying to start writing. One of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment