Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Saying Goodbye, and Welcome Home


December 22, 2008

Dear Family,

Dad has come home, and it feels so good to have him back. I have been surprised at how awake he is. For a long time he has mostly slept, even keeping his eyes closed when the nurses or mom tried to feed him, but today his eyes are open and he looked at me.

A couple of weeks ago I gave him a kiss and said, “I love you.”  Dad whispered back, “I love you, too.”

It had been a long, long time since he had said anything to anyone. Today I kissed him again and said, “I love you.” He didn't actually say the words, but I could tell that he knew what I'd said, and he wanted to let me know he loved me, too. He also kept raising his hand and pointing at something, like he did yesterday. I don't know exactly what it means, but mom still thinks maybe he is pointing at people on the other side of the veil.

Aunt Linda and I went out to the Carriage House this afternoon to pack up dad's clothes and bring his stuff home, then we asked mom if she would like to have the boys give dad and her Priesthood blessings tonight. She agreed, so this evening they did.

Both of dad's sons, Uncle Phillip and Uncle Keith, have come up to Snowflake to be with us. They, and dad's three son-in-laws who are here laid their hands on his head and gave him a blessing.  Before that, though, Keith leaned over his bed and asked if he would like a blessing.  Dad nodded his head vigorously. Everyone felt like he really did know what Keith asked him.

The boys gave dad a very sweet blessing of comfort and peace, and that he would not be in pain. Then they gave mom a blessing of comfort, too.

Afterwords, we left mom in the room with dad and went out to the kitchen to talk. We discussed plans for dad's funeral and also what we needed to do to prepare for it. Tammy's mom works for a funeral home here in Taylor, and we decided we would use that funeral home and talk to her about what steps we should be taking.

Dear family, I wish the rest of you could be here with us at this time. It is amazing, the feeling of peace and comfort that permeates mom and dad's house right now. I'm sorry you can't all be here, feeling it. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that mother and dad are in Heavenly Father's hands right now, and that He is taking care of them, and us.

Alan has visited with us on several occasions about the privilege he's had of helping people leave this world, as well as helping them enter it. You know that he is a family doctor, and he often gets to deliver new babies. You may not know, though, that he is also a hospice care doctor, and helps people as they die.

“One day,” he told us, “I had got to deliver a baby in the morning, and be with that same family as their grandpa died that night. The spirit was the same, both times, and I knew the same people were on the other side of the veil, saying goodbye to the baby and welcome home to the grandpa.”

It seems to me that mom and dad's house must be filled with our family on the other side of the veil these days, there to help dad come home. It is very sweet and tender. I hope that even though you are not able to be with us physically, you will be able to feel that spirit wherever you are. That's the cool thing about spiritual stuff, isn't it? It transcends time and place.

I love you, dear family.

Aunt Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment