Sunday, December 2, 2012

The New House


"What would you guys think about building a great big house out on the land in Gilbert and moving out there with us?" Grandpa asked suddenly.  We were all sitting around in his living room, having a quiet Sunday afternoon visit.

"Yeah!" Stephen shouted from the corner where he was playing with some toys.

"Really?"  "How soon?"  "I want to!" and "Of course!" the rest of the kids chimed in.

I looked at Dad in surprise, wondering if he was really serious.  He had bought a piece of land out in Gilbert a couple of years ago as an investment.  It was in a beautiful area, bordered on the east and north by rural subdivisions with acre or more lots and large homes, and on the south and west by corn fields.  He'd talked about subdividing the property someday, but I'd never thought Dad would consider moving there.

"I was thinking I could sell four acre lots, and still have two acres for us to build on," Dad continued, smiling at all of the excitement he was creating.  “We could build two houses, one for each of us, or one great big house with room for everyone.  Anyway, it's just a thought."

And so began a new chapter in our lives, the Gilbert years.  Dad got busy and subdivided the property, putting in a road and utilities, then sold the pieces to four wonderful families.  The proceeds were enough to pay off the land and start building the house.  In the end he designed an amazing split-level home that fit our needs perfectly.  It was really two separate houses, each with their own bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms, even laundry rooms, but there was a huge adjoining living room in between, with double doors leading to each side of the house.  At Christmas and family gatherings the doors could be opened so we had lots of room for everyone, but at other times they could be closed giving each family privacy. 


It was the perfect answer for our family. Since I was a single mother with five children, it gave me a way to not be alone. Mom already babysat for me while I taught school, so living together would be easier. And we would have the blessing of having dad to take care of us, giving the children a grandfather at least, since they no longer had their dad. Hopefully, it would also be good for my parents. They were still young, but someday it might help to have me close. Plus my rent would help pay the taxes and utilities. I sure was lucky to have such wonderful parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment