Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Little Blue Dishes



The Little Blue Dishes
Author Unknown

Once upon a time there was a poor woodcutter who lived with his wife and three children in a little cabin in the forest. There was a big boy named John and a little boy named Peter, and a dear little girl named Gretchen, just five years old.

Christmas was coming, and the children went to the village toy shop to look at all the toys. There were tops and balls and blocks. There were wooly bears and other stuffed animals, and also animals made of wood. There were all kinds of dolls, and there were furniture for dolls' houses – and many other things.

“Gretchen,” said Peter, “what do you like best?”

“Oh, that little box of blue dishes!” said Gretchen. “That is the best of all.” She could not take her eyes off the cunning teapot, the sugar bowl and cream pitcher, and the two little cups and saucers.

On Christmas Eve the children hung up their stocking's, although their mother had told them they must not expect much this year.

After supper John ran out to play with the big boys. Gretchen and Peter sat by the fire talking bout the toys they had seen.

“I wish I had those little blue dishes,” said Gretchen. But soon she became sleepy and went off to bed.

Peter ran to look at his bank. He found only one penny, but he took it and ran to the toy shop.

“What can I buy for a penny?” he asked the toy man.

“You can buy a little candy heart with a picture on it,” said the man.

“But I want that set of blue dishes,” said Peter.

“Oh, those cost ten cents,” said the man.

“Well, then I'll take the candy heart,” said Peter. He took it home and put it in the toe of Gretchen's stocking and then he went to bed.

Pretty soon John came home. He was cold and hungry. While he was warming himself by the fire he noticed the lump in Gretchen's stocking. He put in his hand and drew out the candy heart.

“Oh,” said John, “how good this smells!” And before he thought about what he was doing, he ate the candy heart.

“Oh, dear,” he thought, “that was for Gretchen for Christmas. I must run and buy something else for her.”

He ran to get his bank and he found he had ten pennies. Quickly he ran to the toy shop. The man was just ready to close up.

“What have you for ten pennies?” he asked the storekeeper.

“Well, I'm almost sold out,” said the toy man, “but here is a little set of blue dishes.”

“I will take them,” said John, and he ran home and put them in Gretchen’s stocking. Then he went to bed.

Early Christmas morning the children jumped out of bed and came running to look at their stockings.

“Oh,” cried Gretchen, “look at my stocking!” She had found the blue dishes and she was dancing for joy. But Peter could never understand how his candy heart changed into a box of blue dishes!

1 comment:

  1. When I was a young girl, I remember my teacher reading this story about The Little Blue Dishes. It always stayed with me and I always remember this story. I am now 63 years old and wanted to know where I can purchase the original book. I called our State Library and they said it may be out of circulation.

    ReplyDelete