Monday, December 17, 2012

Santa Claus and the Mouse



Santa Claus and the Mouse
by Emile Poulsson

One Christmas Eve, when Santa Claus
Came to a certain house
To fill the children's stockings there,
He found a little mouse.

“A merry Christmas, little friend,”
Said Santa, good and kind,
“The same to you, sir,” said the mouse;
“I thought you wouldn't mind

“If I should stay awake tonight
And watch you for awhile.”
“You're very welcome, little mouse,”
Said Santa with a smile.

And then he filled the stockings up
Before the mouse could wink.
From toe to top, from top to toe,
There wasn't left a chink.

“Now they won't hold another thing,”
Said Santa Claus with pride.
A twinkle came in the mouse's eyes,
But humbly he replied,

“It's not polite to contradict-
Your pardon I implore-
But in the fullest stocking there
I could put one thing more.”

“Oh, ho!” laughed Santa. “Silly mouse!
Don't I know how to pack?
By filling stockings all these years,
I should have learned the knack.”

And then he took the stocking down
From where it hung so high,
And said, “Now put in one thing more;
I give you leave to try.”

The mousie chuckled to himself,
And then he softly stole
Right to the stocking's crowded toe
And gnawed a little hole!

“Now if you please, good Santa Claus,
I've put in one thing more;
For you will own that little hole
Was not in there before.”

How Santa Claus did laugh and laugh!
And then he gaily spoke,
“Well, you shall have a Christmas cheese
For that nice little joke.”

No comments:

Post a Comment