Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Piano Lessons


(I am going to be gone helping 315 teenagers experience pioneer life for the next three days, so I am posting three blogs today, early.)



I begged and begged Mom to let me take piano lessons, I was sure I would become a great pianist.  When I was eight years old Mom and Dad found a used piano for sale.  It was beautiful, dark cherry, and in very good shape.

I was so excited the day I went to my first lesson.  My teacher was Mrs. White, a lady who lived in Aunt Ejvor's neighborhood.  Mrs. White's husband was an invalid, Mom said he had been for many years, so Mrs. White taught lessons to support her family.

I really liked Mrs. White, but I was a little disappointed in my lessons.  All I got to do the first week was find out where middle C is, then put both my thumbs on it and play five notes up and five notes down.  Mrs. White said it would strengthen my fingers.  I also had to memorize the notes in the treble and bass clef's.  All Dogs Do Fine, All Cars Eat Gas, Good Birds Do Fly Always, and F A C E, were the rhymes I had to memorize to help me remember the notes.

It wasn't too long before I had graduated to playing simple songs from the beginner book.  That was a little better, and I tried to remember to practice every day.  I really did enjoy playing the piano, I just didn't always remember to practice.

After a few years I was playing real songs, and enjoying the piano even more.  I loved to play the songs I liked, and spent many happy hours at the piano, but I didn't enjoy practicing the songs I was assigned as much.  I'm afraid I didn't work very hard on them, and often I had to repeat the same song over and over again.

I took piano lessons for eight years.  By that time I should have become a piano virtuoso, but I didn't apply myself enough.  One day I realized how much time I had wasted, and determined I was going to practice my lessons the right way, instead of spending my time playing fun songs.  I went to my next lesson prepared to apologize to Mrs. White, and promise to do better, but I never got the chance.  A few years after I began lessons Mrs. White's husband passed away.  When I went to my lesson that day she told me that she was going to get married again, and move to Washington state.  I wouldn't have her for a teacher any longer. 

I was happy for Mrs. White, but sad to loose her.  I wished I had been a better student, and made her proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment