Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Over the years I have tried to find special ways to honor my mother and grandmothers, and often that meant putting together scrap books with letters from us kids and poems.  Now that my grandmothers and mom have passed on those books have found their way back to me again.  I love to read the letters and the poems, they bring sweet memories and happy feelings, so instead of writing an actual story today I thought I would share some of my favorite Mother's Day Poetry with you.  I hope this brings to you the same happy, peaceful feelings it bring to me.


I Love You
by Roy Crofts

I love you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what you
Are making of me.

I love you,
for the part of me
That you bring out.
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple
Out of the works
Of my every day.
Not a reproach
But a song.



Mother to Child
by Carol Lynn Pearson
Look -
Your little fist
Fits mine
Like the pit
In a plum.

I think,
In the time
Before remembering,
These two hands
Clasped companionably,
Then parted.

Help me, child.
Forgive me
When I fail you.
I'm your mother,
True,
But in the end
Merely an older equal
Doing her faltering best
For a dear
Small friend.



Remembered Joys
Remembered Joys are never past,
They're simply tucked away
Deep in the corner of our hearts
That we call yesterday.

And sometimes on a sunny day,
Beside some quiet stream,
With breezes blowing through the trees
It's nice to sit and dream.

To watch the sunlight through the leaves,
And in its golden glow,
To see the pattern that it weaves
Upon the stream below.

The water, like a mirror, shines
With sweet reflections of
Those dear, remembered yesterdays
So filled with joy and love.



God Made a Wonderful Mother
by Pat O'Reilly

God made a wonderful mother,
A mother who never grows old;
He made her smile of the sunshine,
And He molded her heart of pure gold.
In her eyes He placed bright, shining stars,
In her cheeks, fair roses you see;
God made a wonderful mother,
And He gave that dear mother to me.



My Dear Mother
To one who bears the sweetest name,
And adds a luster to the same,
Who shares my joys--
Who cheers when sad--
The greatest friend I ever had.
Long life to her-
For there's no other
Could take the place
Of my dear mother.



Samuel Woodworth, on reflecting on his mother
How dear to this heart
Are the scenes of my childhood
When fond recollection
Presents them to view.


All To Myself
All to myself I think of you--
Think of the things we used to do.
Think of the things we used to say,
Think of each happy yesterday;
sometimes I sigh and sometimes I smile,
but I keep each olden, golden while
All to myself.




I wish I had the power to write
The thoughts within my heart tonight
As I sit and watch the lonely stars
And wonder how and where you are.
You know, Mom, it's a funny thing,
How close, a son, a mission can bring;
And how for months, now, I've tried
To keep my emotions deep inside.
I told you brave men never cry--
I'm sorry, Mom, I guess I lied.
For if we stood here to embrace,
You'd find a tear stain on my face.
I'm sorry if when I was home,
I left you standing all alone.
For it was you who shared my fears,
And soothed my hurt and dried my tears.
yes, if I had the power to write,
The things within my heart tonight,
The words would ring out loud and true,
I'm proud to say, "Mom, I love you."



She cooked the breakfast first of all
Washed the cups and plates,
Dressed the children and made sure
Stockings all were mates.

Combed their heads and made the beds
Sent them out to play
Gathered all their many toys,
Put some books away.

Dusted chairs and mopped the stairs,
Ironed an hour or two.
Baked some cookies and made some pies
Then she made a stew.

The telephone rang constantly
The doorbell did the same.
A youngster fell and stubbed his toe,
And then the laundry came.

She picked up blocks and mended socks
And blackened up the stove.
she thought Gypsy folks were fortunate
With carefree ways to rove.

And when her husband came home at six
He said, "I envy you.
It must be nice to sit at home
Without a thing to do."




Golden years are passing by
Happy, happy golden years.
Passing on the winds of time
These happy golden years.

call them back as they fly by
Sweet their memories are.
Oh improve them as they fly
These happy golden years.



Sometime
by Eugene Field

Last night, my darling, as you slept
I thought I heard you sigh.
And to your little crib I crept
And watched a space thereby.
And then I stopped and kissed your brow
For oh, I love you so---
You are too young to know it now
But sometimes you shall know.

Look backward, then into the years,
And see me here tonight.
See, O my darling! how my tears
Are falling as I write.
And feel once more upon your brow
The kiss of long ago--
You are to young to know it now
But sometime you shall know.



I love you because you have done more than any creed could have done to make me good, and more than any fate could have done to make me happy.  You have done it without a touch, without a word, without a song.  You have done it just by being yourself.  Perhaps that is what being a friend means after all.
I love you........


No comments:

Post a Comment