Sunday, March 4, 2012

I Am a Child of Royal Birth

I remember when I was a very little girl that we used to get together with my aunts and uncles and grandparents and their families for Big Family Nights occasionally.  One of my aunts, Joan Johnson, was a talented violinist, and I remember her playing for us on these occasions.  I'm sure my mom and the other aunts told us stories and taught us lessons, but the only one I remember in particular was one evening when Aunt Amy told us about our Heavenly Home.  She gave each of us a copy of the following poem, and I kept it for years.  I have never forgotten this poem, or the truth that it teaches.  Perhaps it will make as big a difference for you as it did to me.

I am a child of royal birth, my father is king of heaven and earth
My spirit was born in the courts on high; A child beloved, a princess am I.
I was nurtured there, I lived by his side in a home where patience and love abide
My mother was there in that glorious place, blessing her children with queenly grace.
I grew to the stature that spirits grow, I gained the knowledge I need to know
I was taught the truth and I know the plan that God and the Christ laid out for man.
I was there when the stars of morning sang, I mingled my voice when the heavens rang.
I was there to rejoice, to praise and applaud the shouts of joy from the songs of God.
I waited my turn and I came to earth through the wonderful channel of human birth,
Then the curtains were closed and the past was gone, on the future, too, the curtains were drawn.
I live on the earth, and God will it so, with the freedom to choose the way I should go.
I must search for the truth, I must serve and obey, I must walk by my faith many miles of the way.
Someday I’ll go back; I will answer the call, I’ll return with my records to the Father of All.
The book will be opened and so will my heart, there will be rejoicing if I’ve done my part.
My Father, the King, with His infinite love will welcome me back to the mansions above.
The curtains will part and eternity in its light and glory will open to me.
by Anna Johnson

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Sister Johnson for written this poem. I memorized it when I was 6 years old, back in 1958 for our Primary program. It has stayed with me all these years and I love it so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have shared this poem with my 6 children and many family members for the past 30 years! Thank you Sister Anna Johnson!
    Sis. Robin Lindsey House

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have shared this poem with my 6 children and many family members for the past 30 years! Thank you Sister Anna Johnson!
    Sis. Robin Lindsey House

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you related to Anna Johnson? She was my great aunt and lived with us when I was a little girl. She wrote a poem a day for most of her life. This is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gale, my name is Cindy Craig. I am compiling a book much like Chicken Soup for the Soul. I am trying to get permission to put part of this poem in the book as it relates to what I am writing. I don't know who I should visit with to get the permission. I would attach to the story that Anna Johnson wrote the part of the story I want to include. Can you give me permission to do that? Please write me back with in the week.

    ReplyDelete