Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Bad Luck of O'Shaugnessy

You realize, of course, that this will probably be the last Irish story I tell for awhile.  This particular story is perhaps, a little sad, but I hope you find it enjoyable.  I did.

The Bad Luck of O'Shaugnessy

One day, soon after work began, the foreman at the plant where O'Shaugnessy worked came down onto the floor and tapped O'Shaugnessy on the arm. 

"Yea, boss," O'Shaugnessy said, looking up from his work.

"There's a phone call for you," the foreman said, a little frown between his eyebrows.  He wasn't happy about employees taking personal calls on the job.  "You can answer it in my office, but tell whoever it is not to call you any more."

O'Shaugnessy was more than a little surprised, no one had ever called him at work before, so he hurried into the office.  A few moments later he walked out again, his shoulders slumped and a mournful look on his face.  Worried, the foreman asked him what had happened.

"Tis me mother," O'Shaugnessy answered sadly.  "Me father just called to tell me she passed away this morning."

"Oh, I'm sorry," said the foreman, regretting his earlier gruffness.  "Do you want to take the rest of the day off?" 


"No", replied O'Shaugnessy slowly.  "There's nothing I can do right now, and 'twould be better for me to keep busy I think.  I'll finish the day out."

About an hour later the foreman walked back out onto the floor to tell O'Shaugnessy that there was another call for him on the phone.  O'Shaugnessy looked at him worriedly, but the foreman didn't seem to be angry about the personal call this time, so O'Shaugnessy walked back into the office.  He slumped out of the door a few minutes later looking even more dejected than before.  The foreman placed an arm around his shoulder and asked, "Are you alright?"

O'Shaugnessy looked at him in bewilderment, shook his head, and said, "Begora, boss, I've just been given even worse news.  That was me brother on the phone, and his mother died today, too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment