Saturday, October 13, 2012

What Kind of Wife Did He Want?


"My, those boots are really something!"  my sister-in-law commented as she walked in my in-laws back door on Sunday afternoon.  I'd thought the same thing when I saw my mother-in-law, but I hadn't made up my mind what the 'something' was. 


"I like to keep my marriage hot," my mother-in-law purred provocatively, making a low growling sound as she swiped her fingers through the air.


I shuddered inwardly, embarrassed by her antics.  My mother-in-law was old enough to be, well, my mother.  Why would she want to look and act like a street-walker?


On the other hand, it helped me understand my husband a little better.  I wished he thought I was beautiful, but regardless what other people said, I always had the feeling he was disappointed in me. It was funny, because other people said I was nice looking. 


One day soon after we got married we ran into some old friends of Sheldon's family.  After introducing me to them, one of the men turned to Sheldon and said, "Wow!  How did you manage to get such a gorgeous wife?"  It made me feel really good, and I could tell Sheldon did a double take and looked at me a little differently for a while, but it didn't last.  Apparently, having a pretty face wasn't what Sheldon wanted.


Having three babies in four years meant I had been pregnant for most of our marriage.  While I enjoyed having babies, Sheldon didn't like having a pregnant wife.  It was hard finding time to exercise with three little children, but for awhile after Russell was born I was able to get up early in the morning and go out running before Sheldon had to leave for work.  I really enjoyed the time by myself.  I'd run through the neighborhoods around our house, admiring the yards and flowers and architecture, while pondering the wonders of our universe and thinking great thoughts.  It was fun.


Eventually the exercise paid off, and I not only could fit in all my old clothes,  I got to start buying smaller and smaller sizes.  That felt great!  One day I bought a pair of spiky, silver sandals that were really not my style, but they were on sale.  That weekend we went to dinner for our weekly date, and while we were eating Sheldon grinned at me and said, "Did you see the men watching you as you walked by?"


I was surprised.  No, I hadn't seen anyone watching me, but I was pleased that Sheldon thought I looked good.  At the same time, I couldn't help wondering.  What was it Sheldon wanted in a wife?  A nice woman who loved him and his children, took care of his home, and cooked him delicious food, or a trophy wife that other men would lust after?



No comments:

Post a Comment