Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy April Fools Day!

Have you had a good April Fools Day?  I didn't do very much for my family this year, I suppose I'm getting too old.  I just scattered around a few plastic lizards and frogs and replaced the toilet paper with an 'untearable tissue roll', which backfired because my 6 year old grandson was the one to discover it.  Oh well, I tried.

Back in the old days when my kids were little I tried harder.  Once I attended a seminar about making fun in our home.  The teacher described how she taped butcher paper over her teenage sons doors, so when they opened them they found they had to break through the paper, just like football players running out onto the field before a high school game.   Another time she put gold fish in their toilet bowls.  Quite a surprise!

I tried both of these ideas on my teenagers.  The paper was OK, but since none of them aspired to be football players they didn't get quite as big a kick out of running through it as I had hoped.  The goldfish was a loss.  Although the little things swam merrily around the tank when I dumped them in, by the time the kids got up the fish had swum back behind the bowl and they were flushed away without ever being seen.

I figured something had gone wrong when all was quiet as my kids got ready for breakfast.  Luckily, I had saved a few goldfish for later.  I always put a pitcher of hot water on the table so we could make cocoa.  This morning I filled the pitcher with cold water and added the fish.  My 16 year old daughter sat down, dumped some cocoa in her cup, picked up the pitcher to pour in the hot water, and let out a little scream.  It took a while, but the fish worked.

When I made lunches for the kids to take to school I enjoyed April Fools Day a lot.  Instead of peanut butter and jelly they got peanut butter and cocoa puff sandwiches, which they said actually tasted a lot like Reese's peanut butter cups, go figure?  

Anyway, I hope you had a good day today, and that no one fooled you too badly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment